Dear friends, members and partners,
Best wishes for health and happiness in 2018!
We start this year with some very good news:
In partnership with the Municipality of Villefranche-sur-Mer, the Municipality of Saint-Jean Cap Ferrat, the Conseil Départemental 06 and the Chamber of Commerce Nice Côte d’Azur, we are organising a new exhibition and a Memory Day in January! Here is the programme:
From 13 to 20 January, 10am – 12 noon and 2.30 – 5.30pm (except Sunday morning) in the foyer of the auditorium of the Citadelle de Villefranche:
Exhibition: “The Collections of the Sixth Fleet”
Zippos (from a private collection), caps, cruise books, Welcome aboard, model ships, Plaques (collection Mairie de Villefranche), postcards, badges and photos of ships, slideshow of photos from the past and present, as well as very rare documents we received in 2017 which will be on display for the first time at this event!
Saturday 20 January:
From 9am – parade of jeeps in partnership with Azur Liberty Jeep:
Come and admire these vintage vehicles in various places in the Town throughout the day!
From 10am to 12 noon: Screening of films in the Auditorium of the Citadelle de Villefranche:
- “Navy Log Mama Germaine” filmed in 1958 for American television and screened in January 1959 in Villefranche Harbor in the presence of Mayor Olmi and Mom Germaine with her family. We had this film translated and subtitled in November 2017. It will, therefore, be screened for the first time subtitled in French on 20 January, 2018!
- “Salvaging the Anchor” by the Anao club, an underwater adventure: a look back at a human adventure led by Eric Dulière and his team which succeeded in forming a chain of solidarity around this extraordinary project;
- “Home Away from Home,” 52 min. documentary film made by Hugo le Gourrierec and Florent Plana in partnership with ESRA Côte d’Azur and Mc Clic Monaco in 2017.
From 10am to 1pm and 2.30 to 5.30pm: Special Opening of the Gare Maritime and the Port de la Santé in Villefranche to see the permanent exhibitions:
- “Once Upon a Time… The U.S. Navy and Villefranche-sur-Mer” Historical Trail from 1777 to 2017 on the walls of the Port de la Santé;
- “The Americans and the Sixth Fleet in Villefranche-sur-Mer” Large-scale photos of this fine era inside the Gare Maritime;
- “An Anchor, Symbol of Franco-American Friendship” Large-scale underwater photos by Olivier Jude and Sylvie Laurent inside and outside the Gare Maritime.
More good news!
1 DVD of the film “Home away from Home” will be gifted for every membership (form attached or on line http://en.ussixthfleet-villefranche.com/membership/ ) in 2018 (as stocks allow)! Souvenir Books, Historical booklets as well as some collector’s objects will be on sale at the exhibition shop.
We are counting on you to come along and we will meet you from Saturday 13 January at 10am to explore our magnificent collections of the Sixth Fleet and Saturday 20 January at 10am at the film screening at the auditorium of the Citadelle! Please feel free to pass this information to your friends and family.
The story continues thanks to all of you!
Chair of the association